Saturday, March 22, 2014

Revolution and dreams

I am currently fighting a Upper respiratory tract infection which needless to say is whooping my whole ass. I have been locked up in a room in bed, drinking all kinds of fluids, taking all kinds of meds, and sleeping like I never have or get to. In the fever breaks and coughing breaks where deep sleep finds me I get to wander where my mind wants to go and I was surprised with all the werewolf shows I have been watching and/or vampires, I would not dream about such monsters but instead the real kind… I saw myself in a group of people in a school lobby somewhere in the south, I saw myself amongst various other people of their own respective backgrounds, ages, and life experience. This one teacher, a pudgy short white lady with a charming accent and disposition was trying to paint a picture of what slavery might have looked like at this time in this particular area. She started to spew false information with a matter of fact tone in which case those present who did not know any better would have no choice but to take her word for it, had they not educated themselves about the very subject at hand. I saw some nodding taking in her information, I saw others who maybe knew better sink back into themselves too afraid or jaded to say a thing. I immediately got irate and defensive and demanded she tell the truth which was not as cookie cutter as she made it seem, and I began to try to rally other people there with obvious African descent written in their features to remember and or join in my indignation. Surely they had to know what the past really was.. some idea of the struggles of the captives coined "slaves" in our land…? Yet only one maybe two of the group stood with me and I quickly took their hands we began to hold hands, form a small circle and sing old spirituals I never heard or even knew prior to that moment, and those spirituals turned into songs of a native tongue we had not knew before either and I began to see the obvious discomfort of the Guide or teacher whose presentation and group was being disturbed and taken over… The school lobby we were standing in started to dissolve like dirt wiped away by water, and I was no longer in a group of people of a modern time listening to some woman describe she read about I was instead in a compound of "captives" and running with a group away from some impending doom. I saw people living in squander, people just like me. I saw people quickly marking territories amongst themselves with invisible lines in the dirt, in fear of being ripped away form a home they would never see again and gathering their own people as close as they could to preserve a feeling of home or familiarity in this strange new land. They held fast to those who spoke their language and might be from a region they lived close too. They saw themselves as different than there neighbor who with obvious similarities in perhaps countenance and or spirituality was still a "stranger". I was taken to a place where white missionaries instructed the captives on how to praise and act with in a "church" setting and get beat for dancing too enthusiastically. I saw drums and gourds which would normally be played by us for almost every important circumstance tossed into a pile and burned as we were told we have no use of such primitive instruments. I was taken to a small would-be apartment I would coin a "slum" where young women of various ages were fighting off disease and or the after effects of having their body used beyond that which can be taken in an intimate manner, their choices stripped from them and their body used against them as they relinquished control to those that were in a position to take.. I saw amongst them glowing figures in white, head ties and gels wraps, white garbs and walking sticks tending to them, healing, trying to reach out to them some how… and I knew these were the old Gods… these were the present energies of the people that in strife were abandoned and yet they sought to help whether or not they were recognized for it or called upon anymore… I awoke and I could not believe I just had such a vivid dream, why this I asked myself? What meaning? I can't help but wonder was it a call to reach out to the community and tell them to not be fooled about what was instructed, circumstance does not define you or re-define you… The old ways and deities, never left you and calling them new things like Jesus or Holy Ghost was but a way to access them but there were other ways.. they are still tending to you and around you. That the invisible lines drawn in the sand to preserve who and what you were was a defense mechanism that pushed others like yourself away in place where you were all viewed the same? Perhaps, history was being told in such a way as to wash and water down the actuality that would perhaps lead you to understand the struggles still present in a land and system set up not for you or your descendants? Im going to sit and meditate with this dream and hope to see people together, recognizing the past and using it as fuel to push and move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment