Monday, February 7, 2011

Beauty of my people

I would like to say although a lot of my writings and work tends to focus on my people of color and their traditions ( as I do embrace Africa in all I do) I am pro PEOPLE period. I love people, I love our diversity and similarities. I celebrate it all.

This poem states the weekend's experience I had at a drumming celebrating a rebirth of someone who is now called Iyawo. Someone who went through the same beautiful life changing experience I did last April, Kari Ocha. A drumming celebrating the birth of an Agallu from an Agallu.

I felt you long before I walked into the house
I felt your rhythms and beats long before the sound of your drums reached my ears
Terrestrial and yet heavenly
My body reacts moving and swaying and toes tapping as hands clapped,
these movements and these melodies ancient and long danced by many others who came before me
A space full of beautiful shades of brown, caramels, blacks and tans
I smell elements, I smell power, I smell culture I taste remembrance and savor victory
My people together in once space reconnecting to the Mother we call Africa
Many roots branching out form one sacred tree and we all reach for the sun naturally as we reach for the divine
The plant reaches for the sun as God works through it in the form or photosynthesis
We channel nature unwillingly and yet so naturally involuntary
I see you Sister in your Blue head wrap, garb speaking of your royalty set against the rich tones of your skin. Yemaya proudly in your midst
Beautiful Daughter of Ochun I see your beauty shining as legendary as that of your Divine Mother
Strong Daughter of Oya who can hold you or your wise words back? You flow through us reminding us their is strength to be claimed and honored.
Sons and Daughters of Chango pride and ferocity clear the way as you exemplify sovereignty and Majesty. We originate form Kings and Queens Indeed.
My people beautiful and different like the many creations of that whom we call God or Goddess. Like the many colored fish, birds, and flowers
Gods creations effortlessly wonderful, Beauty of my People

1 comment: