Saturday, January 2, 2010

My calling

I met someone humble, genuine, he was jovial. His crown was the ocean and its depths, the force of his crown was the mother who fights for her children who gives into the anger or love and fights and defends ferociously and efficiently. His name was Leo, Okoto was the crown.
I was brought into a room where a myriad of colors splashed across a singular room. Women in white head wraps with a scarlet parrot feather tucked somewhere in their knot. Dark and light colored people with the whitest of clothes, emanating a glow of freshness somewhat angelic in appearance.
I see one corner of the room draped in the most delicate and colorful cloth. They draw your eyes to them without your permission. Helpless to the beauty and intricacies you see strewn in the most thoughtful of ways. I see multicolored tureens and Porcelain jars draped in fine cloth and adorned with decorated beaded Necklaces that denote royalty to the fullest degree. Inside the porcelain confines are but a bit of harnessed energy, a bit of a force of nature. I liken it to capturing a bit of lightning or thunder in a jar. Heat and energy is raised around the room as a few men start playing drums. There voices hard and raspy still make the most beautiful of songs as they sing songs of ages old. Africa makes itself known, the motherland comes through bubbling up from our very cells, our soul, through our pores, out of our mouths into our limbs. Making us move to a rhythm that takes over our very being, we move, we sway, we spin, we step in line with those around us who are doing specific movements for one of the Orishas.
This cant be the same religion I have heard about, this cant be this dark secretive practice I have heard about in the media. This once believed Devil worship by myself only a few months ago which only through education, showed me they have no devil and devil is purely a christian concept.
This couldn't be anything but pure beauty. What could be more pure than to accept, acknowledge, and appreciate the earth on which we live? This is what Orisha is, they are the very essence of Nature, the very invisible and potent forces that make things what they are.
I felt a connection, nothing that could be explained only felt. It rang through me, reverberating through my soul as if a bell as rung, my core in tune with these drums. Each beat of the drum echos in sync with my heart, my limbs and torso find a movement that feels too natural too right and somehow. I look around i am moving the same as some others standing in my midst, no need for taught choreographed movement's, this was spirit, this was community. I found a link to my ancestors, I was naked my soul was bared, I was giving in to this sound, this feeling. This is more than me, this is above me, this is ME. I'm a willing instrument, a vessel awaiting to be prepared in order to receive one of these forces of nature, this part of the divine. I am home recognition floods my brain, I am overwhelmed with emotion. Dejavu implies I have experienced this before, but I cannot recollect a single memory. I'm in love with this feeling, I'm in love with this community, I m in love with this music, I'm in love with Nature, with the earth.
I am home.

No comments:

Post a Comment